Prague National Theatre was first opened on 11th of June 1881, but not everything went well in its history. The original plan for the main Neorenaissance building was presented by Josef Zitek, while the Czech people were encouraged to donate for its construction. The Grand opening was honoured by the visit of Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria and a premier of Bed°ich Smetana's opera Libuše. After 11 performances, it was decided to temporarily close the theatre, so the finishing touches could be done. Unfortunately, due to circumstances hitherto disputable, the roof of the building caught on fire and the main stage of the theatre was irrevocably damaged. Another construction process had to be held, but with the supervision of a different architect, Josef Schulz. The new building of the National Theatre was inaugurated on 18 November 1883 and worked without major repairs for 100 years. In the second half of 20th century, additional buildings, such as the New Stage, were constructed on the same square.